Sunday, September 28, 2008

My two cents

Well it's in the books. I logged my mileage for Saturday. 18 miles. Let me say that again...18 miles.
This run was sooooo much better than 16, and I finished 20 mins faster than when we did 16mi. Crazy. The first loop was 1:15:06 and the second was a dicouraging 2:31:50. I really thought that I had sped up that second lap, but I guess not. Then the third lap Jason and I led out a little ahead of the group. And we had an awesome pace going. We had to nearly sprint to make it out before the "walkers for obesity" group on the west side of the river. We barely made it too. Then we were moving across the pedistrian bridge and the beginning of the midland valley trail too. I felt like we were boooking it. Then I needed to stop for water at the last stop, but Jason kept going. He was ready to just be done. Of course there was no water. I watched a FF chick and dude stop and get some water and the chick had two hydro packs on her belt. (I wanted to tackle her) But I had to save the rest of my energy for the last mile and a half. I gotta tell you...this is where I hit my wall. I had to stop and walk. Deon caught up to me and I ran with him for about a mile, but then he left me too. But I did see my breath of fresh air in the last half mile. Travis (my husband) walked to meet me and then finished my run in with me. He is the best. When I came up on the clock I really thought it was going to rip me a new on for all the walking I did. But it didn't. I finished in 3:42:08. The last lap was a negitive split. 5 mins faster than the previous two laps.
At the end, I told Travis about hitting the wall. And he offered up some great advise that I will share with those of you who read this.
He says:
"The wall is always going to be there...you just have to remember it's only made of styrofoam."
Thank you Travis

8 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

I am glad you made it through that wall. I thought you did awesome.

Rachael Alise said...

You did great...great time too. Yes, we came upon the water stop with no water too...hydration is so overrated when you are running 18 miles.

You daughter is so pretty, and a Cowboy's fan too!!

Your husband is wise!! Keep on keeping on!

T Z said...

Sounds like you had a great run. You were only 1:44 slower the second loop, and then kicked butt the last loop despite running out of water. Chalk that up. That's a good run. You seem to be on pace for a 5:20 marathon, maybe better. You've got 7 weeks and cooler weather to improve.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Shoulda hit that FF chick instead of the wall.

You looked great when I saw you towards the end. I told you 18 was nothing to fear. Great job!

Bobby said...

Awesome. Conquered your fear and won. I'll have to remember next time the wall is only styrofoam.

Candice said...

Way to go on your negative split!!

People often think that walking is a sign of weakness, but Kathy has said over and over that taking walk breaks can actually help you! Never feel bad about walking! It certainly didn't hurt you any!!

Cassy Russell said...

A negative split - awesome, Erin! Very proud of you.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Hope you do well in your new shoes on Saturday. Take it easy on the hills (Yes, there will be hills!) so you don't re-injure your calf.